Children's Hospital of Wisconsin offers special treatments for burns that reduce pain, lessen scarring and help kids heal faster.
One innovative treatment is the use of Biobrane, which is a thin material (like plastic wrap) used to cover burns and help them heal. Once the wound is cleaned and treated, the Biobrane is carefully placed and meshes with the wound like a substitue layer of skin. As the burn heals underneath, the Biobrane peels and may slough off on its own.
Biobrane reduces pain by:
- Covering and protecting the nerve endings exposed by the burn injury.
- Making dressing changes faster and easier.
Other benefits include:
- Shorter length of stay in the hospital. Once the Biobrane has adhered to the injury, outer bandage dressing changes are quite simple and can be cared for at home.
- Less scarring. Biobrane protects the burn from infection and does not require daily cleaning, which can disrupt healing.
- Daily wound cleaning and care.
- Pain management or sedation for procedures.
- Consultation with nutrition and a high calorie diet to help healing.
- Intensive care unit services if needed.
- Family support services.
Learn more about outpatient treatment on the Burn Clinic page.