John Meurer, MD, MBA
Professor, Pediatrics; director of the Institute for Health and Society, the Medical College of Wisconsin.
Institute for Health and Society
Bioethics, Biostatistics, Cancer, Clinical effectiveness and outcomes, Community health and prevention, Diabetes/obesity, Environmental health, Health disparities, Health services, Asthma.
Medical degree, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1986; MBA, Northwestern University Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Evanston, Ill., 1991; residency, Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals, Houston, 1989; fellowship, David Winston Health Policy Fellowship, 1991.
American Board of Pediatrics, 1989, re-certified through 2010.
Community Service Award, March of Dimes of Southeastern Wisconsin, 1996; Most Useful Research Award, Wisconsin Network for Health Services Research, 1999; Pediatrician of the Year Award, Wisconsin Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, 2005; Elected Member, Society for Pediatric Research, 2005; Special Achievement Award for Distinguished Service and Dedication, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2006; National Exemplary Award to Fight Asthma Milwaukee (FAM) Allies, US Environmental Protection Agency, 2007; Global Vision Community Partnership Award to FAM Allies, Wisconsin Hospital and Health Association, 2007; Outstanding Medical Student Teacher Award for Health Policy and Urban Community Health Pathway, Medical College of Wisconsin, 2008, 2009, 2010; Best Doctors in America, Business Journal and Milwaukee Magazine, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Meurer, JR, Navon L, etr al. Childhood Asthma Surveillance by Community Coalitions. Health Promotions Practice. 2006; 7(2):77S-86S.
- Meurer, JR, Yang H, Guse CE, Scanlon MC, Layde P. Medical Injuries Among Hospitalized Children. Qual Saf Health Care. 2006; 15:202-7.
- Meurer, JR., Lustig JV, Jacob HJ. Genetic Aspects of the Etiology and Treatment of Asthma. Pediatr Clin N Am. 2006; 53:715-25.
- Weisgerber M, Webber K, Meurer JR, et al. Moderate and Vigorous Exercise programs in Children with Asthma. Peds Pulm. 2008; 43(12):1175-82.
- Breysse J, Wendt J, Dixon S, Murphy A, Wilson J, Meurer JR, et al. Nurse Case Management and Housing Interventions Reduce Allergen Exposures. Public Health Reports. 2011. Suppl; 126.
- Meurer JR, Lyon-Callo S. Controlling Asthma in American Cities. J Urban Health. 2011; 88 Suppl 1:30-37.
- Meurer LN, Young SA, Meurer JR, Johnson SL, Gilbert IA, Diehr S. Urban and Community Health Pathway: Preparing Socially Responsive Physicians through Community-Engaged Learning. Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41(4S3):S228-236.
- National Research Service Award, US Health Resources and Services Administration, Pediatrics and Institute for Health and Society Program Director (with L Meurer as PI).
- Medical College of Wisconsin Clinical Translational Science Institute (CTSI), National Institutes of Health, co-investigator and chair of Citizen Advisory Council, Key Function of Community Engagement (PIs R Shaker, C Maurana, et al).
- Wisconsin Asthma Plan and Public Health Capacity Program, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to State of 2009-2014 Wisconsin Dept. of Health Services, sub to CHHS (2U59EH524190-04).
- Community Health Improvement for Milwaukee's Children (CHIMC), NIH National Center for Minority Health and Health Disparities, co-investigator (PI E Willis).
- Healthy Homes Asthma Project, US Housing and Urban Development to City of Milwaukee Health Department, sub-contract to MCW, co-principal investigator (with L Acheson).
- PhD Program in Public and Community Health, Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin, principal investigator.
- MPH Distance Learning Program, Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin, principal investigator.
- Violence Prevention Initiative - Special Initiative of the MCW Consortium, Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin, principal investigator.
Children's Research Institute
8701 Watertown Plank Road, H2210
Milwaukee, WI 53226-0509
Phone: (414) 955-8029
Investigator in the areas of: