Overview of the Genetics Center
The Genetics Center at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is a leader in genetic treatment and research for children and adults with concerns about genetic disorders, birth defects and related issues. Our geneticists and genetic counselors diagnose, educate, counsel and medically manage patients with a variety of genetic conditions.
Video: Meet Dr. Rhead and learn about our Genetics Center
- Your genomic future: Personalised medicine is here
New Scientist - (Sept. 2013)
Genome sequencing is bringing a medical revolution for families with rare diseases, and the rest of us will benefit too. For the Yuska family, the future of medicine is here. Thanks to whole genome sequencing at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and the Medical College of Wisconsin, parents Danielle and Erik have a name for the mysterious condition that they feared would take the life of their 7-year-old daughter, Lillian, and they have an idea of what her outlook might be.
- Physicians and researchers from Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and the Medical College of Wisconsin comment on the latest research and treatments using genetic sequencing in the NOVA segment, Cracking Your Genetic Code. Click here to watch the segment.
- Watch video of Dr. Dimmock commenting on the advances of genetic testing and the implications on clinical care.
- One in a billion: DNA patient sequencing leads to diagnosis and treatment. Read more.
- Living with PKU: A local woman lives a normal life despite her rare genetic disorder. Read more.
Programs and clinics
- Hereditary Disorders and Connective Tissues (HCT) Clinic
- Genomic Medicine Clinic
- Metabolic Clinic
- Neurofibromatosis (NF) and RASopathy Center
- Velocardiofacial Syndrome (VCFS) Clinic
In addition to our programs and clinics, the Genetics Center at Children's Hospital offers:
- Teaching and training of professionals in genetics and related fields.
- Collaboration with local, national and international experts.
- Involvement in clinical research studies.
- Collaboration with The Medical College of Wisconsin and the Reproductive Medicine Clinic at Froedtert.
I want to ...
Whole genome sequencing is a new test designed to determine the entire genetic make-up of an individual by sequencing all of the genes in a person. Watch Dr. Bick explain whole genome sequencing.