William E. Sweeney, Jr., MS
Investigator, Children's Research Institute; assistant professor, Pediatrics, Medical College of Wisconsin.
Children's Kidney Disease Research Program
Polycystic kidney disease
Bachelor's degree, University of Pittsburgh, 1976; master's degree, George Washington University, Washington, D.C., 1981.
Young Investigator Award, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Workshop on polycystic kidney disease, 1997; Young Investigator Travel Grant, Forefronts in Nephrology, 2000; Invited Lecturer: "ARPKD: Molecular Mechanisms in Pathogenesis of ARPKD," FASEB Conference, Tucson, Ariz., 2003; Invited Lecturer: "PKD 2004 and Beyond," American Society of Nephrology, National Meeting, St. Louis, 2004.
- Sweeney WE, Kusner L, Carlin CR, Chang S, Futey L, Cotton CU, Avner ED. Phenotypic Analysis of Conditionally Immortalized Cells Isolated from the BPK Model of ARPKD. American Journal of Physiology. 2001; 281:C1695-1705.
- Onuchic LF, Furu L, Nagasawa Y, Hou X, Eggerman T, Ren Z, Bergmann C, Sanderek J, Esquivel E, Zeltner R, Rudnic-Schoneborn S, Mrug M, Sweeney W, Avner ED, Zerres K, Guay-Woodford LM, Somlo S, Germino GG. PKHD1, the Polycystic Kidney and Hepatic Disease 1 Gene Encodes a Novel Large Protein Containing Multiple IPT Domains and PbH1 Repeats. American Journal of Human Genetics. 2002; 70:1305-1317.
- Torres VE, Sweeney WE, Wang X, Qian Q, Harris PC, Frost P, Avner ED. EGF Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Inhibition Attenuates the Development of PKD in Han:SPRD Rats. Kidney International. 2003; 64:1573-1579.
- Sweeney WE, Hamahira K, Sweeney J, Garcia-Gattell M, Frost P, Avner ED. Combination Treatment of PKD Utilizing Dual Inhibition of EGF-receptor Activity and Ligand Bioavailability. Kidney International. 2003; 64:1310-1319.
- Grimm DH, Cai Y, Chauvet V, Rajendran V, Avner ED, Sweeney W, Somlo S, Caplan MJ. Polycystin-1 Localization is a Function of Polycystin-2 Expression in Mammalian Cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2003; 278:36786-36793.
- Dell KM, Nemo R, Sweeney WE, Avner ED. EGF-related Growth Factors in the Pathogenesis of Murine ARPKD. Kidney International. 2004; 65:2018-2029.
- Interdisciplinary Center for Polycystic Kidney Disease Research, Project three of Center Grant: Pharmacological and Genetic Therapy of ARPKD, co-principal investigator, National Institutes of Health 1-P50-DK57306-01.
- Interdisciplinary Center for Polycystic Kidney Disease Research, Core C of Center Grant: Development and Maintenance of In Vitro Models of ARPKD, principal investigator, NIH 1-P50-DK57306-01.
- Combination Drug Therapies for PKD, co-principal investigator, Wyeth-Ayerst Research Division.
- c-Src Inhibitors: Pre-clinical Therapies for PKD, co-principal investigator, Wyeth-Ayerst Research Division.
- Segment Specific Distribution and Subcellular Localization of PKHD1 during Renal Development, principal investigator, Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation.
Children's Research Institute
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Phone: (414) 456-5773
Fax: (414) 456-6539
Investigator in the areas of: