Adrian Miranda, MD
Pediatric gastroenterologist, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin; associate professor, Pediatrics-Gastroenterology, The Medical College of Wisconsin.
Gastroenterology and Nutrition
Functional bowel disorders, abdominal pain, dysperpsia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, general gastroenterology.
Medical degree, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 1998; residency, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 2001; fellowship, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 2004.
Board certified in Pediatrics, Pediatric Gastroenterology.
Young Investigator Award: Second World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Paris, France, 2003; Young Investigator Award: Midwest Chicago Gut Club, Chicago, 2004; REGAL Award for excellence in Gastroenterology Research, San Francisco, 2007; Outstanding Teacher of the Full-time Pediatric Faculty Award, 2007; Functional Brain Gut Research Group, Young Investigator Award-Basic Science, 2008; Best Doctors in America, 2009-2010.
Peer reviewed research awards
- Basic Science Award, International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders, Milwaukee, WI, 2011.
- Young Investigator Award (Basic Science), American Gastroenterologic Association's Functional Brain Gut, San Diego, CA, 2008.
- REGAL Award for outstanding research in the field of Gastroenterology, San Francisco, CA, 2005.
- Young Investigator Award, World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Paris, France, 2004.
- Young Investigator Award, Greater Chicago Gut Club, Chicago, IL, 2004.
- Miranda A, Mickle A, Schmidt J, Zhang Z, Shaker R, Banerjee B, Sengupta JN. Neonatal Cystitis-Induced Colonic Hypersensitivity in Adult Rats: A Model of Viscero-Visceral Convergence. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011 (in press).
- Mickle A, Sood M, Zhang Z, Shahmohammadi G, Sengupta JN, Miranda A. Antinociceptive Effects of Melatonin in a Rat Model of Post-inflammatory Visceral Hyperalgesia. A Centrally Mediated Process. PAIN. 2010; 149:555-64.
- Adamiak T, Altaf M, Jensen MK, Sultan M, Ramprasad R, Ciecierega T, Sherry K, Miranda A. Single Day Preparation with Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) 3350: An Effective Regimen for Colonoscopy in Children. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 71:573-7.
- Saps M, Youssef N, Miranda A, Nurko S, Kagalwalla A, Di Lorenzo C. A . Randomized, Double Blind, Placebo Controlled, Multi-center Trial of Amitriptyline in Children with Functional Abdominal Pain. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:1261-9.
- Miranda A, Mickle A, Medda BK, Phillips RJ, Tipnis N, Reza Shaker, Powley TL, Sengupta JN. Altered Mechanosensitive Properties of Vagal Afferent Fibers Innervating the Stomach Following Gastric Surgery in Rats. Neuroscience. 2009;162:1299-306.
- Miranda A, Nordstrom E, Smith C, Sengupta JN. The Role of Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid 1 in Mechanical and Chemical Visceral Hyperalgesia Following Experimental Colitis. Neuroscience. 2007; 148:1021-32.
- Smith C Nordstrom E, Sengupta JN, Miranda A. Neonatal Gastric Suctioning Results in Chronic Visceral and Somatic Hyperalgesia: Role of Corticotropin Releasing Factor. Neurogastroenterology and Motility. 2007; 19:692-9.
- National Institutes of Health, Neural Plasticity and Development of Chronic Pelvic Pain, co-investigator.
- National Institutes of Health, Neuronal Changes in Adult Rats Induced by Neonatal Pain, principal investigator.
Children's Research Institute
Department of Pediatrics - Gastroenterology
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Phone: (414) 266-3690
Investigator in the areas of: