Ellis D. Avner, MD
Director, Children's Research Institute; associate dean Research; professor, Pediatrics and Physiology. Medical College of Wisconsin; associate director, S.E. Wisconsin Clinical Translational Science Award/Institute.
Director, Research Center of Excellence in Pediatric Nephrology.
Polycystic kidney disease, kidney disease, kidney development.
America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 2001-2002; Standing Committee, International Pediatric Association, 2001-2007; Councilor, International Pediatric Nephrology Association, 2001-2007; Million Dollar Professor, Case Western Reserve University 2001-2003; March of Dimes Distinguished Lecturer, New York Academy of Medicine, 2002; Junvenile Diabetes Foundation Award for Research Achievement, 2002; President, American Society of Pediatric Nephrology, 2002-2004; Rainbow Babies Corporation, Chair for Excellence in Pediatrics, 2004; President, Council of American Kidney Societies, 2003-2004; Honored Member, Lifetime Achievement Award, Strathmore's Who's Who, 2004 -; Howard Mermelstein Memorial Lecture, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2003; Award of Tenure, Medical College of Wisconsin, 2004; Executive Committee, International Pediatric Association, 2004-2007; Henry L. Barnett Award for Excellence in Clinical Care and Education in Pediatric Nephrology, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2008; Best Doctors in America (Castle-Connely) 2009, 2010.
- Sweeney WE, Avner ED. Renal Cystic Disease: New Insights for the Clinician. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006; 53:889-9089. PMID: 17027616.
- Sweeney WE, von Bigier RO, Frost P. Avner ED. Src Inhibition Ameliorates Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease in the BPK Murine Model. Journal American Society Nephrology. 2008; 19:1331-1341. PMCID: PMC2440293
- Park F, Sweeney WE, Guanggfu J, Akbulut T, Mueller B, Falck J, Birudaraju S, Roman R, Avner ED. Chronic Blockade of 20-HETE Synthesis Reduces Polycystic Kidney Disease in an Orthologous Rat Model of ARPKD. Amer J Physiol Renal. 2009; 296:575-582. PMCID: PMC2660198.
- Akbulut T, Regner K, Roman R, Avner E, Falck J, Park R. 20-HETE Activates the Raf/MEK/ERK Pathway in Renal Epithelial Cells through EGFR- and c-Src-Dependent Mechanism. Amer J Physiol Renal. 2009; 297(3):F662-70. PMCID: PMC2739708.
- Avner ED, Harmon W, Niaudet P, Yoshikawa N (eds): Pediatric Nephrology, 6th Edition in 2 volumes, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2009.
- Sweeney WE, Avner ED. Diagnosis and Management of Childhood Polycystic Kidney Disease. Pediatric Nephrology. 2010 (In press). (EPub ahead of print) PMID 21046169.
Sweeney WE and Avner ED. Molecular and Cellular Pathophysiology of Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease. Cell Tissue Res. 2006; 326:671-685. PMID: 1676405.
Investigator in areas of: