Nita H. Salzman, MD, PhD
Investigator, Children's Research Institute; assistant professor, Medical College of Wisconsin.
Gastroenterology and Nutrition
Antimicrobial peptides, commensal microbiota, defensins, inflammatory bowel disease, innate immunity, intestinal infection, intestinal inflammation, mucosal immunity.
Medical degree, New York University School of Medicine, 1990; doctorate, New York University School of Medicine, 1990; residency, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 1990-1997; postdoctoral fellowships, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, 1994-1996, and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1996-1997.
Pathology, Anatomic Pathology.
- Barman M, Unold D, Shifely E, Amir K, Jung N, Bos A, Salzman NH. Enteric Salmonellosis Disrupts the Microbial Ecology of the Murine Gastrointestinal Tract. Infection and Immunity. 2008; 76(3):907-915.
- Olivier V, Salzman NH, KJ Fullner, Satchell. Prolonged Colonization of Mice by Vibrio Cholerae El Tor O1 Depends on Accessory Toxins. Infection and Immunity. 2007:;75(10):5043-5051.
- Wehkamp J, Salzman NH, Porter E, Weichenthal M, Petras RE, Shen E, Schaeffeler E, Schwab M, Linzmeier R, Feathers RW, Chu H, Lima K, Fellermann T, Ganz E, Stange F, Bevins CL. Reduced Paneth Cell-defensin Expression in Crohn's Disease of the Ileum. Procedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2005; 102(50):18129-18134.
- Salzman NH, Ghosh D, Huttner K, Russell J, Paterson Y, Bevins C. Protection Against Enteric Salmonellosis in Transgenic Mice Expressing a Human Intestinal Defensin. Nature. 2003; 422:522-526. Advance online publication, 19 March 2003 (doi:10.1038/nature01520).
- Salzman NH, Chou M, deJong H, Liu L, Porter EM, Paterson Y. Enteric Salmonella Infection Inhibits Paneth Cell Antimicrobial Peptide Expression. Infection and Immunity. 2003; 71(3):1109-1115.
- Salzman NH, deJong H, Paterson Y, Harmsen HJM, Welling GW, Bos NA. Analysis of 16S Libraries of Mouse Gastrointestinal Microflora Reveals a Large New Group of Mouse Intestinal Bacteria. Microbiology. 2002; 148:3651-3660.
- The Regulation of Paneth Cell Defensins by Bacterial Infection, National Institutes of Health, R01, principal investigator.
- SIGIRR, a Negative Regulator of Toll-IL-1R Signaling. NIH, subcontract to Xiaoxia Li, PhD, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, co-investigator.
Children's Research Institute
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Phone: (414) 456-4244
Fax: (414) 266-3676
Investigator in the areas of: