Fritz Sieber, PhD
Investigator, Children's Research Institute; professor, Pediatrics and Medicine, Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Medical College of Wisconsin.
Selenium-based experimental therapeutics, novel anti-cancer agents, autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, ex vivo purging, prevention of therapy-induced toxicities, mitigation of radiation injury, photodynamic therapy.
Doctorate, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland, 1976; fellowship, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, 1976-1979.
Swiss National Science Foundation Fellow, Swiss National Science Foundation Scholar, Hubert E. and Anne E. Rogers Award, Leukemia Society of America Scholar, Frederick Stohlman Memorial Award of the Leukemia Society of America, associate editor, Cancer Therapy and Control, editorial board/section editor, Cancer Research, Therapy & Control, editorial board, Current Chemical Biology.
- Sieber F, Gunther WHH, Daziano J-P, Krieg-Kowald M, Bousbaa J and Bula RJ. Method of Making, and Use of Cytotoxic Agents Containing Elemental Selenium. US Patent Number 7,205,002, issued on April 17, 2007.
- Sieber F, Muir SA, Cohen EP, North PE, Fish BL, Irving AA, Mader M and Moulder JE. High-dose Selenium for the Mitigation of Radiation Injury: a Pilot Study in a Rat Model. Radiat Res. 2009, 171:368-373.
- Cunderlikova V, Vasovic V, Sieber F, Furre T, Nesland JM, Peng Q. Hexaminulevulinate-mediated Photodynamic Purging of Leukemia Cells from BM. Bone Marrow Transp. 2010; 45:1553-1561.
- Cunderlikova B, Vasovic V, Sieber F, Furre T, Borgen E, Nesland JM, Peng Q. Hexaminolevulinate-mediated Photodynamic Purging of Marrow Grafts with Murine Breast Cancer Carcinoma. Bone Marrow Transpl. 2011; 46:1118-1127.
- Sieber F, Muir SA, Cohen EP, Fish BL, Mader M, Schock AM, Althouse BJ, Moulder JE. Dietary Selenium for the Mitigation of Radiation Injury: Effects of Selenium Dose Escalation and Timing of Supplementation. Radiat Res. 2011; 176:366-374.
- Daziano J-P, Gunther WHH, Krieg M, Tsujino I, Miyagi K, Anderson GS, Sampson RW, Ostrowski MD, Muir SA, Bula RJ, Sieber F. Photochemically Generated Elemental Selenium forms Conjugates with Serum Proteins that are Preferentially Cytotoxic to Leukemia and Selected Solid Tumor Cells. Photochem Photobiol. In press.
- High-Dose Selenium for Mitigation of Radiation Injury, NIH, Center for Medical Countermeasures Against Radiological Terrorism, principal investigator.
- Mitigation of Radiation Injury in Brain Tumor Patients, Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin and Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin, principal investigator.
- Mitigation of Radiation Injury in Pediatric Brain Tumor Patients, CHW-Rebecca Slye Cancer Care Fund, principal investigator.
- Selenium for Mitigation of Late Effects in Pediatric Brain Tumor Patients, St. Baldrick's Foundation (www.StBaldricks.org), principal investigator.
Children's Research Institute
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Phone: (414) 955-4155
Fax: (414) 456-6543
Investigator in the areas of: