Robert Montgomery, MD
Pediatric hematologist, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin; professor, Pediatrics (Hematology), vice chair, Research, Medical College of Wisconsin; senior investigator, Blood Research Institute.
Bleeding and blood disorders
Von Willebrand disease, Bernard Soulier Syndrome, Hemophilia
Medical degree, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, 1969; internship, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 1969-1970; residency, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, 1972–1973; fellowships, Pediatric Hematology, University of Colorado, Denver, 1973–1976, Molecular Immunology, Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, La Jolla, Calif., 1976–1977.
Pediatrics 1976; Pediatric Hematology 1976.
Established Investigator Award, American Heart Association, 1982; The Dr. Murray Thelin Award, National Hemophilia Foundation, 1991; ISth Investigator Recognition Biennial Award, ISth XV111th Congress, Paris France, 2001; Tibor Greenwalt Scientific Lecture Award, American Association of Blood Banks, 2005; Distinguished Service Award, Medical College of Wisconsin, 2006; 1st Leadership in Research Award, National Hemophilia Foundation, 2011.
- Flood VH, Gill JC, Morateck PA, Christopherson PA, Friedman KD, Haberichter SL, Branchford BR, Hoffmann RG, Abshire TC, DiPaola JA, Hoots WK, Lessinger C, Lusher JM, Ragni MV, Shapiro AD, Montgomery RR. Common VWF Exon 28 Polymorphisms in African Americans Affecting the VWF Activity Assay by Ristocetin Cofactor. Blood. 2010; 116:280-286. (PMCID: PMC2910611).
- Flood VH, Gill JC, Morateck PA, Christopherson PA, Friedman KD, Haberichter SL, Hoffmann RG, Montgomery RR. Gain-of-function GPlb ELISA Assay for VWF Activity in the Zimmermann Program for the Molecular and Clincal Biology of VWF. Blood. (First Edition, 12/10/2010; PM:21148813; PMCID pending).
- Flood VH, Friedman KD, Gill JC, Morateck PA, Wren JS, Scott JP, Montgomery RR. Limitations of the Ristocetin Cofactor Assay in Measurement of von Willebrand Factor Function. J. Thromb. Haemost. 2009; 7:1832-1839 (PM:19694940; PMCID pending).
- Flood VH, Lederman CA, Wren JS, Christopherson PA, Friedman KD, Hoffmann RG, Montgomery RR. Absent Collagen Binding in a VWF A3 Domain Mutant: Utility of the VWF:CB in Diagnosis of VWD. J. Tromb. Haemost. 2010; 8:1431-1433. (PM:20345716; PMCID pending).
- Shi A, Fahs SA, Kuether EL, Cooley BC, Weiler H, Montgomery RR. Targeting FVIII Expression to Endothelial Cells Regenerates a Releasable Pool of FVIII and Restores Hemostasis in a Mouse Model of Hemophilia A. Blood. 2010; 116:3049-3057. PMC2974610. (PMCID: PMC2974610).
- Zhang G, Shi Q, Fahs SA, Kuether EL, Walsh CE, Montgomery RR. Factor IX Ectopically Expressed in Platelets can be Stored in Alpha-Granules and Corrects the Phenotype of Hemopnhilia B mice. Blood. 2010; 116:1235-1243. PMC2938234. (PMCID:PMC2938234).
- Haberichter SL, Balistreri M, Christopherson P, Morateck P, Gavazova S, Manco-Johnson MJ, Gill JC, Montgomery RR. Assay of the von Willebrand Factor (VWF) Propeptide to Identify Type 1 van Willebrand Disease Patients with Decreased VWF Survival. Blood. 2006; 108:3344-3351. (PMCID: PMC1895439).
- Molecular and Clinical Biology of VWD - This is a Program Project Grant headed in Milwaukee with subcontracts to 8 University Medical Centers in the USA. There are also subcontracts to Queens University, Kingston, ON, Canada and the University of Sheffield in Sheffield, United Kingdom, program director and project leader.
- Critical Interactions of FVIII and VWF - This project is directed at the role of VWF in gene therapy of hemophilia A by directing the synthesis, storage, and release of FVIII to VWF within platelets or endothelial cells, project leader.
Children's Research Institute
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Phone: (414) 456-4311
Fax: (414) 456-6613
Investigator in the areas of: