Cheryl A. Hillery, MD
Program director, Sickle Cell, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin; professor, Pediatrics (Hematology/Oncology), Medical College of Wisconsin.
Bleeding disorders research
Bleeding and blood disorders
Vasopathology of sickle cell anemia.
Medical degree, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, N.C., 1984; residency, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, 1988; fellowship: Hematology/Oncology, departments of Pediatrics and Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1991; postdoctoral fellowship, Hematology, Blood Research Institute, Blood Center of Southeastern Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 1993.
Internal Medicine, 1988; Pediatrics, 1989 and 2000; Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, 1992 and 2000.
National Institutes of Health Career Development Award (K08/CIDA), 1993–1998; Society of Pediatric Research, 1996.
- Watkins NA, Du LM, Scott JP, Ouwehand WH, Hillery CA. Single Chain Antibody Fragments Derived from a Human Synthetic Phage Display Library Bind Thrombospondin and Inhibit Sickle Cell Adhesion. Blood. 102:718-724.
- Ou J, Ou Z, Jones DW, Holzhauer S, Hatoum OA, Ackerman AW, Weihrauch DW, Gutterman DD, Guice K, Oldham KT, Hillery CA,* Pritchard, Jr KA*. L-4F, an Apo A-1 Mimetic, Dramatically Improves Vasodilation in Hypercholesterolemia and Sickle Cell Disease. Circulation. 107:2337-41. *Contributed equally to experimental design.
- Saunthararajah Y, Hillery CA, Lavelle D, Molokie R, Dorn L, Bressler L, Gavazova S, Chen YH, Hoffman R, DeSimone J. Effects of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine on Fetal Hemoglobin Levels, Red-Cell Adhesion and Hematopoietic Differentiation in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. Blood. 102:3865-70 (plenary paper).
- Wandersee NJ, Olson SC, Holhzaur SL, Hoffmann RG, Barker JE, Hillery CA. Increased Erythrocyte Adhesion in Mice and Humans with Hereditary Spherocytosis and Hereditary Elliptocytosis. Blood. 103:710-6.
- Pritchard, Jr. KA, Ou J, Ou Z, Shi Y, Franciosi JP, Signorino P, Kaul S, Ackland-Burglund C, Witte K, Holzhauer S, Mohandas N, Guice K, Oldham KT, Hillery CA. Hypoxia-Induced Acute Lung Injury in Murine Models of Sickle Cell Disease. American Journal of Physiology: Lung Cellular Molecular Physiology. 286:L705-L714 (with editorial comment and cover photo).
- Hillery CA, Panepinto JA. Pathophysiology of Stroke in Sickle Cell Disease. Microcirculation. 11:195-208.
- Mechanisms of Vaso-Occlusion in Sickle Cell Disease: Role of Thrombosis, National Institutes of Health program project: Project 4, principal investigator.
- Red Blood Cell Adhesion in Sickle Cell Disease, NIH R01, principal investigator.
Children's Research Institute
PO Box 2176
Milwaukee, WI 53201-2178
Phone: (414) 937-3896
Fax: (414) 937-6811
Investigator in the areas of: