Stuart Berger, MD
Return to Our Specialists page.
- Cardiology, Pediatric
- Pediatric Cardiology
- MD: University of Wisconsin (Madison, Wis.), 1975 - 1979.
- Residency: University of Chicago (Chicago), Pediatrics, 1979 - 1982.
- Fellowship: University of Chicago (Chicago), Pediatric Cardiology, 1982 - 1985.
- 1985-1990: Assistant professor of Pediatrics, University of Chicago.
- 1991-1992: Clinical assistant professor of Pediatrics, University of Chicago.
- 1991-2002: Associate professor, Pediatric Cardiology, Medical College of Wisconsin.
- 2002-present: Professor, Pediatric Cardiology, Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Member of the Board of the American Medical Athletic Association.
- Member of the Advisory Board of TCHIN, The Children's Health Information Network.
- Candidate for Executive Board of American Running Association.
- Candidate for Executive Board Member of the President's Council of Physical Fitness and Sports, (appointed by President George W. Bush), 2001.
- Invited to participate in writing the guidelines for diagnosis and therapy of Heart Failure in Children: A joint project by ISHLT, AHA and ACC.
- Member of Consortium for Pediatric Cardiac Transplantation
- Affiliate Member of the Chicago Heart Association.
- Member of Wisconsin Tobacco Control Board, appointed by Governor Tommy Thompson, 2000.
- Councilor of the Wisconsin Chapter of the American College of Cardiology, 2000.
- Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology - Appointed as Councilor of Wisconsin Chapter of ACC, January 2000.
- Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians.
- Society of Critical Care Medicine.
- American Medical Athletic Association - Board Member, elected in April 1999.
- Member of the American Heart Association.
- Executive Board Member of Wisconsin Chapter of the American Heart Association.
- Member of the Council of Cardiovascular Diseases of the Young, American Heart Association.
- Member Advisory Board American Heart Association, Metro Milwaukee Area.
- Voluntary Advocacy Committee, Milwaukee.
- Regional Consortium, Research Committee.
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.
- Wisconsin Cardiothoracic Transplant Society.
Original research published
- Berger S: What do Schools need to know: Helping Programs Comply with the Recommendations of Current Scientific Statements, Emergency Preparedness and Management of Sudden Cardiac Arrest in the School Setting. Emergency Cardiovascular Care Updates, Las Vegas, June 2008.
- Berger S. Five critical cardiac problems that are important to diagnose. American Academy of Pediatrics National Meeting, Boston, October 2008.
- Berger S: Moderator – Optimizing Outcomes of Cardiac Interventions in the Premature/Low Birth-Weight Infant. 2008 Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association, Nov. 10, 2008. New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Berger S, Cava J, Pelech A, Hoffman G, Jaquiss R, Tweddell J. ECMO and Transcatheter Left Heart Decompression in an Infant with Acute, Severe Heart Failure. General Poster Session, World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology, May 30, 2001, Toronto.
- Berger S, Whitstone B, Frisbee S, Bauer K, Petasnick D, Sachdeva R. A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Project ADAM For High Schools in the Milwaukee Public High School System. Moderated Poster Session, World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology, May 30, 2001, Toronto.
- Berger S, Whitstone B, Hoffman G, Pelech A, Jaquiss R, Rice T, et al. The Experience with Primary Pulmonary Hypertension at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Can We Predict Who Will Respond to Vasodilator Therapy? Poster Presentation, World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology, May 29, 2001, Toronto.
- Berger S, Biller J, Pelech A, Cava J, Recto M, et al. Stroke in a Young Man with Cystic Fibrosis after Lung Transplantation, Poster Presentation, World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology, May 29, 2001, Toronto.
- Berger S, Hoffman G, Pelech A, Fedderly R. Chronic and Continuous Measurement of Mixed Venous Oxygen Saturation and Pulmonary Artery Pressure in Patients with Pulmonary Artery Hypertension: Effects of Exercise. Poster Presentation, World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology, May 29, 2001, Toronto.
- Hoffman G, Ghanayem N, Mussatto K, Stuth E, Berger S, Tweddell J. Phenoxybenzamine Prevents Hemodynamic Deterioration at High Oxygen Saturation in Neonates After the Norwood Procedure for HLHS. Poster Presentation, World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology, May 28, 2001, Toronto.
- Pelech A, Strong C, Dao M, Berger S, Fedderly R, et al. Aortic Valve Stenosis: A Thirty Year Experience. Poster Presentation, World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology, May 28, 2001, Toronto.
- Fedderly R, Pelech A, Berger S. Selection of Occlusion Devices for PDA: Gianturco Coil and/or Amplatzer Duct Occluder? Poster Presentation, World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology, May 30, 2001, Toronto.
- Dhala A, Berger S, Frommelt M, Frommelt P, et al. Clinical Experience with the Implantable Cardioveter-Defibrillator in Children with Congenital Long QT Syndrome. Presented at the Midwest Pediatric Cardiology Society, September 2000, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Berger S, Hoffman G, Pelech A, Fedderly R. Chronic and Continuous Measurement of Mixed Venous Oxygen Saturation and Pulmonary Artery Pressure in Patients with Pulmonary Artery Hypertension: Effects of Exercise. Presentation, Midwest Pediatric Cardiology Society, September 2002, Chicago.
- Frommelt PC, Berger S, Pelech AN, Bergstrom S, Williamson JG. Prospective Identification of Anomalous Origin of the Left Coronary Artery from the Right Sinus of Valsalva: Importance of Color Doppler Flow Mapping. Presentation at Midwest Pediatric Cardiology Society, September 2002, Chicago.
- Campbell RM, Berger S: Preventing pediatric sudden cardiac death: where do we start? Pediatrics 2006; 118(2):802-4.
- Maron BJ, Thompson PD, Ackerman MJ, Balady G, Berger SB, Cohen D, Dimeff R, Douglas PS, Glover DW, Hutter AM, Krauss MD, Maron MS, Mitten MJ, Roberts WO, Puffer JC: Recommendations and Considerations Related to Participation Screening for Cardiovascular Abnormalities in Competitive Athletes: 2007 Update: A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism Circulation 2007; 115:1643-1655.
- Zangwill S, Ellis T, Stendahl G, Zahn A, Berger S, Tweddell J: Practical application of the virtual crossmatch. Pediatr Transplant, 2007; Sep 11 (6): 650-4.
- Ghanayem NS, Berger S, Tweddell JS. Medical management of the failing Fontan. Pediatr Cardiol. 2007 Nov-Dec;28(6):465-71. Review.
- Tweddell JS, Ghanayem NS, Mussatto KA, Mitchell ME, Lamers LJ, Musa NL, Berger S, Litwin SB, Hoffman GM: Mixed venous oxygen saturation monitoring after stage 1 palliation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; Oct; 84(4):1301-1.
- Vetter VL, Elia J, Erickson C, Berger S, Blum N, Uzark K, Webb CL: Cardiovascular monitoring of children and adolescents with heart disease receiving stimulant drugs: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young Congenital Cardiac Defects Committee and the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing. Circulation 2008; May 6; 117(18):2407-23.
- Campbell RM, Berger S, Drezner J: Sudden cardiac arrest in children and young athletes: The importance of a detailed personal and family history in the pre-participation evaluation. Br J Sports Med 2008; Aug 21.
- Berger S: Gasping, survival and the science of resuscitation. Circulation 2008; Dec 9; 118 (24): 2495-7.
- Berger S. Sudden cardiac death in children. Do we really know? Heart Rhythm 2009; 6(11): 1623-1624.
- Berger S. Campbell RM: Sudden cardiac death in children and adolescents: introduction and overview. Pacing Clin Eletrophysiol 2009; 32(Supple 2):S2-5.
- Weisgerber M, Danduran M, Meurer J, Hartmann J, Berger S, Flores G: Evaluation of Cooper 12-minute walk/run test as a marker of cardiorespiratory fitness in young urban children with persistent asthma. Clin J Sport Med 2009; 19(4):300-305.