Treatment foster care
Every child should be able to live with mom or dad, but sometimes difficulties keep families apart. That's when you can help.
Treatment foster care is home-based care for children and adolescents with significant emotional, behavioral, physical or medical challenges.
As a treatment foster parent you will:
- Provide a safe, nurturing family environment that emphasizes a positive approach to parenting
- Be an active member of a foster child's treatment team
- Provide day-to-day care as you would for your own children
- Provide medical/dental/vision care and any therapeutic services directed by the treatment team and/or medical personnel
- Ensure positive school attendance and work with the child's school to ensure good academic progress
- Set reasonable rules and help the child live by those rules through positive discipline
- Work with the agency to develop and implement a visitation plan appropriate for the child with the child's birth family/family of origin
- Meet with staff on a regular basis
- Meet the agency's continuing education requirements
Check out our treatment foster care success stories.
To be a treatment foster care parent
- Be 21 years of age or older and be in good health
- Have sufficient income to support your own financial obligations
- Undergo background investigations
- Possess sound judgment and positive parenting skills
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have renter's or homeowner's insurance on your property
- Have vehicle liability insurance
- Have a physical examination completed by your doctor (this is required for each household member)
- Complete the required pre-license education
Single, married or partnered individuals are eligible to apply
Treatment foster care application process
To apply to be a foster parent in south east Wisconsin download the application form (PDF). Fax the completed form to Langston Verdin at (414) 453-2538 or mail to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Community Services, 620 S. 76th St., Suite 120, Milwaukee, WI 53214, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside of south east Wisconsin? Contact the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Community Services office in your area, listed in the Contact us box.