General foster care
The need for foster care parents in Milwaukee County is great. As many as 100 children are removed from their homes each month because they are not safe. At any given time, more than 2,000 children are in foster care in Milwaukee County.
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Community Services, in partnership with the Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services, is responsible for the recruitment, licensing and support of foster and adoptive parents. We also match and place children with foster and adoptive parents.
Children who need foster and adoptive homes come from diverse backgrounds and have a wide range of needs. We are looking for diverse and nurturing foster and adoptive parents to meet those needs.
Role of a foster parent
A foster parent provides temporary care for a child who is in the custody of the Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services. You will provide a temporary family and home for a child until they can be safely reunited with their biological family or placed in a permanent living situation.
- Be at least 21 years old
- Attend an informational meeting (PDF)
- Pass a criminal background, child protective services and caregiver check
- Possess sufficient verifiable sources of income
- Meet physical home environment requirements and have homeowner's/renter's liability insurance
- Have bedroom space for a foster child. A foster child cannot share a bedroom with an adult
- Participate in professional training provided during the licensing process. In addition, ongoing training each year is required
- Be willing and able to work with and respect the child's biological family
- Have love and patience to share
- Be invested in the future of our community's children
- Frequently asked questions
Foster care application process
We encourage you to attend an information meeting to learn more about the foster care program.
To apply for a foster care license, download the application form. Return the form to Laura Goba:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: (414) 453-2538
- Mail: Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Community Services
Attn: Laura Goba
620 S. 76th St., Ste. 120
Milwaukee, WI 53214